Saturday, April 18, 2015

A Soldier, a Sailor and a Chaplain are in a fishing boat . . .

Sounds like the start to a good joke, but it's actually what I did one week ago tomorrow.  You see I am the Chaplain for the Corpus Christi Chapter of Heroes on the Water.  It's a group that works with both injured soldiers and veterans.  I'd like to say that I caught a fish "This big!"  But I'm a horrible fisherman.  I guess it's a good thing there's a grocery store on the way home from the dock.  But I can say that we had a good time serving some 24 veterans and their friends and families.  I was able to connect with quite a few and for a couple of these guys I was able to share with them my love for Christ.  This is but one of the many things we have been up to since we moved here to Corpus Christi.

As you can probably tell from our last post, the transition from Parker CO to Corpus Christi Texas has been challenging to say the least.  This has been one of the most discouraging and difficult times in our lives.  Yet in it, we have seen God do some pretty miraculous things.  For instance when Aleisha's work stopped paying their employees she was able to find a new job almost immediately  You can actually say that God moved mountains for this to happen.  When money was tight we received a monetary gift that changed a lot of things for us.  He has brought us into a new church where we have been warmly welcomed (In fact I just came from a BBQ with a group of friends from Church) and He has provided a mentor for me in the form of one of the pastors.  Even Chris's health has improved dramatically.  He no longer walks with a cane, is able to sleep the night and has more energy then he has had in a while.

In addition He has led me to become part of a local Conservation group where I will be able to build relationships and as the Lord leads, share the Gospel.  I am also working to become a Chaplain for a local Hospice and, believe it or not, despite my back and size the Texas State Guard is talking to me about becoming a Chaplain for them.  It's an unarmed, semi-military organization for the state that only answers to the Governor and solely exists to help the citizens of Texas in crisis.  And I continue to seek out new opportunities for ministry on a daily basis.

We are excited to see what God is doing here in Corpus Christi as this is an area that is desperately in need of the saving grace of Jesus Christ.  And while we are still working through the transition we trust God to lead and provide for us.  As you pray for us please keep us in mind as we continue to make this home.  And please pray that God would continue to open doors for us here.

Prayer Praises and Requests

  • Please pray for Aleisha's job, as she is new and still trying to adjust.
  • Please also pray for Aleisha's eye as she has been having some pressure issues
  • Please pray that the doors for ministry with the Hospice and the Texas State Guard stay open and would work out.  
  • Please pray for our funding/ financial means, that God would make this more stable for us.
  • That we would continue to make friends and connections here for both Aleisha and Chris so we would feel more at home.
  • That Chris's health would continue to improve
  • That God would provide a car for Chris

Thank you for your continued prayers.  If you ever have any questions or want to talk please give Chris a call at 303-791-1108 or via email at pastorchrisgentry@gmail.com.  

In Christ


Chris and Aleisha Gentry

No comments:

Post a Comment